[iyonix-support] Re: Lazy Task Swapping on Iyonix/RISC OS 5.11

  • From: Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:18:42 +0100

In article <b4a1c3374e.jb@xxxxxxxxxx>,
   jb <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What happens to system sprites if it is set larger at the start? .. could
> we be in the realm of inelegant behaviour if the system sprite pool os
> exhausted ? .. certainly in days of old some of the core kernel routines
> could make use of 'spare' vram (riscpc style). This behaviour in riscos5
> has been disabled .. (in theour!!!)

A few observations....

TextEase is being 'naughty' in that it's claiming dynamic areas when it
loads but failing to remove them when it quits. I've quit TextEase and
noticed that it's left a 228K dynamic area behind.

My default 'System sprites' area is 0K and AFAIR it's always been that,
even on the RPC.

Until yesterday (when I was doing some more tests and investigations) I was
using a 12MB background image sprite for the desktop, even though my screen
resolution is only 1600x1200x16M.

On examination, I'd still got my 1920x1440x16M image that I'd originally
copied off the ViewFinder RPC when I moved to an Iyonix. I've now rescaled
it to 1600x1200 and saved it (saving 4MB in the process).
No crashes yet (although it's probably too soon to tell) but I suddenly
thought to myself, "what if the pinboard was claiming too much memory or
something?" Presumably images too large for the available screen resolution
just get cropped don't they?

Paul

--
Paul Vigay                 __\\|//__            Life,
                           (` o-o ')        the Universe

Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep 'till noon.