[iyonix-support] Re: Lazy Task Swapping on Iyonix/RISC OS 5.11

  • From: Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:38:59 +0100

In article <4e37be5c4flists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <4e379d45begary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [Snip]

> > We use Textease a lot too (with AemulorPro); it is a connection that
> > hadn't occurred to me.  I had supposed it was an issue with the NVidia
> > card variants, because older machines seem immune; however the older
> > machines in question don't run Textease here, so this possible linkage
> > could be promising.

> I can't really comment about that because I don't use TextEase at all.
> However, why don't you use the 32-bit version of TextEase? AFAIR v5.93 is
> native 32-bit.

5.86.  Unfortunately it was only ever half-finished.  The !RunImag (sic) is
32-bit, but the support modules and converters it uses remain 26-bit, so if
you run it without AemulorPro it is seriously crippled.  Run it with AP, and
there is no speed advantage in the 32-bit version. Add in some nice new bugs
(I forget the details)...  I prefer to standardise on the last moderately
stable 26-bit version, which is 5.83.

> > As a possible fix, the lazy task swapping is even more interesting, if
> > only because Textease is so fragile on our Iyonixes that it is seriously
> > prejudicing the whole image (and thus future) of the Iyonix here.

> In that case, do try my MiscSetup plugin and see if it improves things at
> all. Fixing a temporary problem may be ok, but ultimately we really need to
> get to the root cause of the problem.

I've just done it with a tiny Basic file so that every machine will have it
permanently disabled next week; if no difference I can easily delete it from
every Iyo with a quick script.  However we /do/ use MiscSetup, for which
thanks!

Too early for any results of course, but disabling LTS certainly makes TE run
noticeably slower.  Also changing between printers on the iconbar has a very
sluggish response, so if there more effects like this in store it won't be
popular!

> Incidentally, do you have screen backdrops on your pinboard?

Yes; I've put details on another reply in this thread.

Best regards

Gary

--
Gary Locock, Network Manager, Bablake Junior School
Coundon Road, Coventry CV1 4AU