[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix network card failure

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:57:38 GMT

On 8 Nov, David Pitt wrote in message
  <794ca7824e.pittdj+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> In message <ef83fb804e.steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip - network not starting.]
>
> > I've got a small BASIC program in my boot sequence that checks the
> > network interface as soon as it starts and offers an immediate
> > power-down if there's a problem.  Sometimes it can take three or four
> > attempts to get things going, which is a pain.
>
> I would be grateful for a sight of that program, or even a clue. I have
> never managed to think of a test to detect the network.

It's nasty, and relies on the output of *EKTest 0...  It's also short, so
I've included it here:

    REM >!!!NetTest
    REM
    REM Test Iyonix network interface at boot.
    REM (c) Stephen Fryatt, 2005

    pipe$="Pipe:$.EKTO"

    OSCLI("EKTest 0 { > "+pipe$+" }")

    REM Assume that if the file is less than 125 bytes long, there isn't
    REM enough output to indicate a fail.  This saves parsing the file
    REM in BASIC.

    SYS "OS_File",17,pipe$ TO ,,,,length%
    SYS "OS_File",6,pipe$

    IF length%<125 THEN
     PRINT "Network I/F started OK."
    ELSE
     PRINT "Network I/F failed to start. Shut down (Y/N)?"
     REPEAT
      key$=CHR$(GET AND &DF)
     UNTIL key$="Y" OR key$="N"
     IF key$="Y" THEN SYS "OS_Reset",&46464F26 : REM "&OFF"
    ENDIF
    END

I've called my copy !!!NetTest, and stuck it in !Boot.Choices.Predesk, so
it gets run before most other stuff.  That reduces the amount of time
wasted in powering the machine up and down.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/