[iyonix-support] Re: Help with Linux Installation on an Iyonix

  • From: Iyonix PC Owner <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:37:52 +0200

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, list@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[...]
Thank you.

I have done the installation on October 30th, so I should remember. :-)

[snip]
Two files were d/loaded, apparently,
rescue.bin and drivers.tgz.

And base.tar.gz, I think.

But when 'Configure device driver modules' chosen:
'A note ... Remember that  many drivers are already included in the
running kernel...'

As for the Iyonix Linux kernels this is true, as there seems to be no
way to pass an initial RAM disk image to a non install kernel AND the
root partition as well. Under ARM Linux/RISC OS it has to be /dev/ram
if you pass the kernel a RAM disk image and otherwise /dev/hdXN.

So it has proven wise to compile the modules needed while booting into
the kernel, instead of compiling them as modules.

Problem. No modules were found in /target/lib/modules/2.4.27-iyonix
that could be configured. Please install the kernel modules first by
running the 'Configure device driver modules' step.

As said above there may well be no modules at all to reside in the
/lib/modules/2.4.27-iyonix directory. You may just skip that step.

So that's the end of that, it seems! 'Configure device driver modules'
gets me 'Problem' which asks me to 'Configure ...'
About now some might say have you paid for them?

Are these base-files chargeable items?

IMHO no ! As they are derived from GPLed originals they are GPLed as
well.

Brian

Regards,
Rainer