[iyonix-support] Re: Graphic cards and noise - warning

  • From: David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:32:19 +0100

In message <298ed4794e.john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John Crane <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>In message <5fcecb794e.pittdj+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>          David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In message <5895c8794e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>>Unlike earlier cards supplied with the Iyonix, which had the red and
>>>blue VGA output channels physically swapped over, the new cards are
>>>supplied unmodified and the colour transposition is done in software
>>>for 256 colour and 16M colour modes. However, 32K modes are not
>>>swapped by RISC OS 5.12. Geminus (once updated for 5.12) should also
>>>be able to correct 32K modes, but with a possible performance
>>>penalty.
>>
>> It can be clearly seen on the original card where the soldering iron
>> had been.
>
>Not in mine it can't - where should I be looking ? And will I need to
>swap it back if I want to re-use the original card, say for example in
>a Windows PC. I'm just thinking I might get a few quid for the
>original card on Ebay maybe. Is it easy to swap back ?

It would need to be put back to normal. The colour swapping is a RISC OS
specific. The change is immediately behind the VGA socket. The paths
through L201 and L205 are crossed over. These are surface mounted
components, it is not easy without the proper kit.

I do not know what the full position is with regard to putting the old
card back. I do know that the old card had the 16M colours correctly
done with the OS5.12 transfer ROM.

The upgrade procedure was, with the original card still in place,
upgrade the ROM to OS5.12 (transfer). Colours remained correct at 16M.
Then change the card, the colours at 16M were still correct. Lastly go
to OS5.12 (full). 16M colours were correct throughout. I could not say
at what point 32K colours went wrong.
--
David Pitt.

Computing with RISC OS.