[iyonix-support] Re: Graphic cards and noise - warning

  • From: David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:21:28 +0100

In message <5895c8794e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On 22 Oct 2006 David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In 32K colours red and blue are transposed. 16M and 256 are OK.
>
>Unlike earlier cards supplied with the Iyonix, which had the red and
>blue VGA output channels physically swapped over, the new cards are
>supplied unmodified and the colour transposition is done in software
>for 256 colour and 16M colour modes. However, 32K modes are not swapped
>by RISC OS 5.12. Geminus (once updated for 5.12) should also be able to
>correct 32K modes, but with a possible performance penalty.

It can be clearly seen on the original card where the soldering iron had
been.

[snip]

>The loss of 32K colours should not be much of a problem as it was only
>ever a stopgap when graphics cards had limited memory and bandwidth and
>could not manage full resolution at a higher colour depth. Now cards
>can do all modes in 16M modes with no performance penalty, and indeed
>software is often faster in 16M as it does not need to preform
>dithering used in 32K or less.

I agree, the loss of 32K colours is not much of a loss with so much
memory on the card. The old card had 32MB, the new one is 128MB. 32K
colours might be useful on other systems limited to 2MB or 8MB of screen
memory. My Iyonix with its LCD very rarely moves from 1600x1200x16M.
--
David Pitt.

Computing with RISC OS.