[iyonix-support] Re: !FreeTime not working

  • From: Iyonix PC Owner <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 21:39:04 +0200

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Dr Peter Young wrote:

[snipped]
[Ports]
Thanks, and I understand this now. I still don't know how I would set
a particular port to be used by, say, FreeTime. It's a bit academic
for me, as I use NetTime rather than FreeTime anyway, but I'm always
curious, like The Elephant's Child :-)

Well, you do not set any ports in any software, unless you are a pro-
grammer. As a normal user you use a program for a certain purpose,
e.g. e-mail, which will use the service smtp and port 25. If it does
not use port 25 then it will not function.

As far as FreeTime is concerned, it uses the time service on port 37,
whereas NetTime uses the ntp (aka Network Time Protocol) service on
port 123.

Regards
--
Rainer Schubert                       mailto:iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx