[iyonix-support] Re: Formatting hard drive

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 18:41:21 +0200

In message <d8fd272352.acld75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <f7b0262352.acld75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Hi all
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> 2. Copy over the remaining approx. 60Gb of backed-up hard disk
>> contents from the NAS
>>      - but presumably, restoring the !Boot file as in step 1.
>>      would also restore LM98 and the network settings?
>>
>> Any comments/warnings/advice on the above gratefully received!
>>
>> George
>>
> LM98 is in my Utilities directory rather than in !Boot, so that would
> have to be accessible either from floppy or better, from a memory
> stick (along with !Boot) to enable the network to be restored. The key
> issue seems to be whether the USB driver is held in ROM and therefore
> available post reformatting.

That problem is not really there. Reformatting the hard disc does not
make your computer lose network or USB access, so you can copy your
data back immediately without any problems. Just make sure you neither
switch off nor reboot before you have transferred your data back!

The question is why you want to reformat your main hard disc in the
first place. Are you certain that this is required?

Martin