[iyonix-support] Correcting Firefox assumptions

  • From: Peter Naulls <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:04:41 -0700

Sorry, I can't reply directly to the original, I wasn't subscribed at
the time, but I'm referring to this post:

//www.freelists.org/archives/iyonix-support/06-2008/msg00047.html

> it's very frustrating to realize that the programmer bypassed the Operating System routines and implemented his own, faulty ones.

Firefox doesn't not subvert any RISC OS routines or drivers.  Apart from
that is, UnixLib (vs SCL) and Tinct (vs Select alpha plotting) but those
are incidental to issues mentioned here and provide functionality that
is otherwise absent, and in any case are also used by NetSurf.

> Firefox doesn't recognize the French keyboard (RISC OS does it well)

This isn't a bug report since I don't know what "doesn't recognize"
means.  Firefox uses entirely legal methods of accessing the keyboard,
so I don't care to speculate on what's wrong here, except to say the
input code has many layers of code.

> Firefox doesn't scroll pages with my USB wheel mouse (RISC OS does it well)

Well, that's not very surprising, if you read the Firefox !Help text
about scroll bars.  The paradigms in use in X (underlying Unix window
system) about how things operate are very different to those in RISC OS,
never mind the assumptions that RISC OS 5 makes with its scroll wheel
stuff (there's no interface as such, it just asks the window to move,
IIRC).   Anyway, it could be fixed, but it's a whole lot of work.

The point is making assertions about how things work from
a point of ignorance is in no one's interest, and not going to
get things fixed.  If you aren't sure, then ask, don't assume.
---
To alter your preferences or leave the group, visit //www.freelists.org/list/iyonix-support