[iyonix-support] Re: COPY aborting on Zip and CDImage files

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:08:06 GMT

In message of 2 Feb, "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message of 1 Feb, Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
>
> > > As per Martins answer - if it is a zip and SparkFS is loaded it is both
> > > a file and a directory.
> >
> > Of course.
> >
> > But it is the same object on both discs.  When the copy command looks at
> > one it says it is a file and when the same command looks at the other it
> > says it is a directory.  This is inconsistent - and is what I am trying
> > to point out.  If there was no such inconsistency, copying could proceed
> > satisfactorily and my backups likewise.
>
> Right this has gone on enough. As has been pointed out several times, this
> is a generic feature common to all versions of RISC OS, and not something
> specific to the Iyonix or RISC OS 5.
>
> There are other backup programs such as !DirSync which handle images files
> completely transparently, so any querks of the command line *copy command
> aren't a show stopping issue.
>
> When the source to RISC OS 5 is released by ROOL, you can then start
> campaigning to change the behavior of this code. Before that time, there is
> nothing to be gained by continuing to complain about it here.

The interesting point here is your mention of ROOL.  The subject matter
of ROOL is RISC OS 5 (and will start with the release of the source of
5.12).  ROOL will not be touching any earlier version of RISC OS.  So
ROOL is very specific to the Iyonix' RISC OS and thus it is very
appropriate to discuss this on the Iyonix malining list.

In any case, you pointed out how I can get round the problem so I no
longer have it.  I am merely trying to refute people who insist that
there is no problem!

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/