[iyonix-support] Re: Ambiguous disc name with pen drive

  • From: Andy Wingate <andy-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:19:15 +0100

In message <2b8bb5414e.dswis@xxxxxxxxxx>
          David <dswis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <207aa1414e.SoftInfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Jeremy Brayshaw <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> > But if I dismount it on the Iyo, move it to the Mac (or Windross),
> > then back to the Iyo, it reports "Ambiguous disc name" when trying to
> > open it.
> >
> > I'm always careful to make sure I dismount the pen drive before I
> > unplug it, but it seems this action is failing to 'forget' the disc
> > name.
> >
> > It's fine if I just dismount and remove the pen drive, then put it
> > back in the Iyo, but if it's been to the Mac the error occurs. The Mac
> > seems to automatically write a few silly files to it as soon as it
> > sees it (things like 'ignore_my_docs') but surely dismounting from the
> > Iyo first should erase all record of it in the Iyo, so if it's
> > re-plugged in - even with these new files on - it should treat it as a
> > disc it's not seen before? Isn't this one of the purposes of
> > 'dismount'?
>
> An obey file pinned to my desktop stops that problem:
> *rmreinit scsifs

It is a PITA when transferring files from my Iyonix to another machine
and back. Renaming the device on the other machine also avoids
'ambiguous disc name' and may be slightly easier/painless if you have
other SCSIFS devices in use. It's still annoying though and would be
unnecessary if Dismount actually did.
--
Andy Wingate <URL:http://www.sparse.net>       OpenPGP key 0xC642BF8A
Your lamp seems to be getting a little dim.