[iyonix-support] Re: Ambiguous disc name with pen drive

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:10:49 +0100

Jeremy Brayshaw <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a problem with a pen drive on my Iyonix.
>
> But if I dismount it on the Iyo, move it to the Mac (or Windross), then
> back to the Iyo, it reports "Ambiguous disc name" when trying to open it.

Filecore format discs have a cycle number which allows the it to tell if a
disc it has previously seen has been modified on another machine, so it can
abandon any cached information and re-read it. There is no such facility
with FAT formatted discs, so it can't tell if the disc is as last seen or
not. However dismounting a disc before removing it is supposed to prevent
this by uncaching all information.

But from my observations with DiscKnight, since RISC OS 4 dismount has no
longer behaved correctly and information on the disc is still retained by
FileCore. I have found dismounting, modifiying directly, and discounting
again immediately before re-use has worked on occation, but I dont
recommend people try instead of rebooting after a repair. It might work
when doing external modifications though.

Cheers
---Dave

--
Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx