[iyonix-support] Re: Alt-select rename does not always work

  • From: "Ste (PlusNet)" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 16:37:53 +0100

On 04 Jul, David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If any files in the directory are being modified, the filer will refresh
> the window and cancel any alt rename in progress. Using the menu rename is
> the work around for this situation.

That's fair enough but it isn't the problem. There is no question at all
that the rename operation is being completed (kind of) because there is a
direct link between pressing return and the writeable icon being removed (at
which point the rename operation should complete but doesn't appear to
happen).

Once you've found a file which is doing this, no amount of repeating the
process will make it work - so it's clearly not a one-in-a-million collision
with some file (attributes) updating at or just before the time you hit
"return".

In fact, you can rename the file with the menu to something, then alt-rename
it to what you wanted in the first place and it will work.

I suspect it's something to do with path variables (unlikely),
word-alignment, terminator bytes and a strcmp in the filer sources which
makes it decide whether to actually do the rename operation or not. E.g.

When you press return to dismiss the writeable icon and start the alt-rename
operation, the filer copies the leafname from the writeable icon into the
buffer used by the rename menu item and then strcmps (case-insensitive) the
leaf name against what it already is. It then calls the rename routine as if
the rename menu item were used BUT only if it believes that the leafname has
changed. This test is occasionally failing for some reason - that's where
I'd be looking for this bug (if I could reproduce it on demand).

Steve

--
Steve @ PlusNet