[iyonix-support] Re: Alt-select rename does not always work

  • From: "Ste (PlusNet)" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:19:54 +0100

On 04 Jul, <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoting rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
>
> > since losing my hard disk and re-installing RISC OS on a new disk I
> > notice that alt-select rename sometimes does not work.
> >
> > For example if I just add a number to a file name and press enter the
> > file name resets itself back to the original name.
> >
> > This behaviour does not occur if I use menu rename.
> >
> > (as is usually the case I can't get it to misbehave at the moment so
> > can't supply an actual example:-(
>
> Let's just check the obvious first.  Alt-Select only works if you click on
> the name; it /doesn't/ work if you click on the icon.  I don't suppose
> this is your issue?

I know exactly what he's talking about - I've seen it loads of times.

* Alt-click the file leaf name in the filer window
* You get the leaf name in a writeable icon
* Edit the name slightly (e.g. add something onto the end)
* Press return
* Writeable goes away but file is left with it's original name (no error is
  generated)
* Repeat with as many other edits as you like (still file doesn't rename)
* Try again using the filer menu's rename option - works every time

This pattern clearly doesn't happen in the vast majority of cases -
alt-rename seems to work most of the time. However, there is definitely a
bug in the alt-rename stuff somewhere. As I said, I've seen this lots.

Steve

--
Steve @ PlusNet