Strange Magic post SP1a

  • From: "Thomas W. Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isaserverorg" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:01:09 -0600

Hey everyone,

I installed SP1a the night it became available. No problems until this
A.M. Here's the story:

Everything was fine since installation. I finished up my scribblings for
the day at 4AM today. The last thing I did before going to bed was surf
the ISAserver.org site (of course!). No problem with that.

I got up at 6AM today to get started on a new project, and the first
thing I did was go to the ISAserver.org site (of course!). I got a 404.
huh? Then I tried another site and got the same thing.

Next thing I did was open a command prompt and type ftp
ftp.microsoft.com and got an error (like a dolt, I did not write down
the error but the gist was that it could not connect). Interesting. HTTP
and FTP didn't work.

Next, tried an nslookup, and that didn't work either.

Hmmm. How about a non-TCP/UDP protocol? OK -- I ping the internal
interface of the ISA Server and its works! Yeah! Now let's see if the
ISA Server is whack: ping www.dallas.net and get a response. OK, so the
firewall service is still working on the ISA Server.

Since it seems like the ISA Server is working, I try to open a Terminal
Services session to the ISA Server and get an almost immediate response
that the connection cannot be established. Great. :-(

Next, I go back to the command prompt and do a ROUTE PRINT. Nothing
abnormal there. Then an IPCONFIG /ALL. Nothing wrong there. Check the
Event Log. It shows some authentication problems related to the fact
that the machine isn't able to connect to the DCs on the network.

Maybe disabling the NIC and re-enabling it will work. Nope! How about
that strange "repair the connection" command when you see when you right
click the NIC icon in the Dial-up and Network connections dialog box? No
workie either.

Hey! Maybe the Firewall client is whack. I try to refresh the
configuration and I get the message that essentially says it can't
communicate with the ISA Server, and that maybe I have the wrong version
or something (i.e., not helpful). OK, thinking that the machine is
possessed, I exorcise it by hard booting the sucker.

After restarting I use the LKG config "just in case". Everything is
working fine, I think. That is to say, everything that I've tried to do
so far is working, although during system boot my network connections
didn't come online immediately and I received an error message to this
effect via a tray icon (Although I think the tray went to court and
officially changed its name to 'notification area' as part of the
divorce agreement between Windows XP and Win9x/Windows 2000).

Anyhow, to make a long story short, I have no idea what happened during
those two short hours of sleep, but I "suspect" that the Firewall client
had a hand in this since only TCP/UDP protocols were affected. Please
tell me that NONE of you have had this problem since installing SP1a and
that this was an isolated random error that I will never see again.

Thanks for watching,
Tom
www.isaserver.org/shinder