RE: Network Copier and Email

  • From: "John Tolmachoff" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:12:01 -0800

> A client just purchased and installed a Canon network
> copier/fax/scanner/document storage, etc, etc, etc; it does everything.
> One of the features is that a document can be scanned and sent via email
> directly from it. However, there is no provision for it to log into the
> domain. The only settings are for tcp/ip (including domain name) and
> smtp/pop3 account info.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Jack-of-all trades, master of none"? I am
yet to see or here of a all-in-one copier that truly works as desired on all
functions.

> The emails aren't being sent. The helpful error message simply says
> "error". Canon's wonderful support people were only able to tell me
> that, no it can't log into a domain. They suggested that I enable
> relaying on the MS Exchange server. Rather than do that I'd like to give
> this thing permission to use port 25 to send its email.

Some one that tells me to just set up my server for relaying, I would not
call wonderful. While you can set up Exchange to relay for one IP address, I
agree with you that is not desired.

John Tolmachoff MCSE, CSSA
IT Manager, Network Engineer
RelianceSoft, Inc.