[PCB_FORUM] Re: positive dynamic gnd/pwr planes in 15.2

  • From: Kevin McCowan <kmccowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 08:06:37 -0400

Yeah. This is a problem. I just ignore the drc's that
are around obviously cleared places anymore.
The more decimal places you have the stupider it gets.
At 3 places it is 4.999 when it should be 5.
I am sorry to hear that they still have not fixed it
in 15.2. You are on 15.2, right?
Watch out, though. Some times it does not clear vias
and pins that it should. I have recently taken to
moving the plane 0 mils (lift and drop) to get it to
regenerate the voids and that seems to work pretty well.

TSI Telsys

Gary MacIndoe wrote:
Hey Guys,
Those of you that create your gnd/pwr inner planes as positive and dynamic, do you have problems after creating them? I always create mine as negative, but I'm playing around with positives with the new fangled dynamic shapes.
After the shape is created (either with Edit -> Split Plane -> Create, or with Shape -> Polygon/Rectangle), there are a number of DRCs (not allot, maybe 9 or so on a 7" square board). These DRCs are via-to-shape, and have an actual value of 9.9 for a constraint value of 10, and some were 4.6 actual for a 5 constraint.
Are you positive plane people seeing this also? Is there a way to avoid this? I managed to get some of them to go away by giving a Global Dynamic Shape Parameter, Via Oversize value of 1 (I went to "2", and the DRC count was the same, I went to "3" and my DRC count increased by one!).
This is reminding me of the "not so good old days" of "problem points"!
Thanks for any responses!

Gary E. MacIndoe
PCB Design Engineer
*A*dvanced *M*icro *D*evices, Inc.
Longmont, Colorado

Want to post a job listing ? DON'T DO IT HERE! Better yet, join our jobs listing forum.