[PCB_FORUM] Re: Programmable Keypads

  • From: "David Greig" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:14:21 +0100

Hi George

Unfortunately some of the other CAD stuff does not support scripts, hence the
desire for deep key memory. Does seem like there
are some point of sale keyboards that will do the job.

Amusing, the turning point for "must have" something like Xkeys was the latest
hotfix.
I had control+F1 (save) and shift+F1 (shape edit) both aliased but they no
longer work.
Found that out when another one of those crashing calamities happened, no work
saved! With lots of slide and delay tune Allegro
does have a propensity to be a pig!

As far as customising the tool, I draw the line at basic ergonomics.
Life is too short, far too short, to spend time on stuff that should be there
already!
While it's easy and possible to design and build a keyboard, I've chosen to buy
one.
While  it's easy and possible to  re-engineer  the Allegro core UI, I've
already bought one, it's just a bit wanting in a few
respects.

I do write a fair bit of engineering SW for problems that there are no tools
for, so I'm looking at the UI and functionality
from both sides of the fence.
Probably spend about 5-800 hours a year at this, so don't have a lot of empathy
for hard to use interfaces.

There may  be a fundamental difference between us, I run my own company and pay
cash out of my own pocket for tools.

Best Regards

David Greig
______________________________