Re: [icon-users] Scope of selection in tables etc

  • From: Russell Hafter - Lists <rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:41:07 +0000 (GMT)

On 31 Oct, John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I didn't know about this. Highlighting the target range
> > was the bit I'd not realized.

> That is an interesting example of an irritating side
> effect of a useful feature.

Indeed. I /have/ learnt this, but still often find it
difficult to highlight the cirrect range for the paste bit,
and often end up re-typing rather than spending time trying
to find the correct match.

> If it were not possible to nest a table inside a cell,
> then it would be much better not to make the user
> carefully match the number of rows and columns are being
> copied, and just accept the cell with the cursor as the
> top left corner of the range. Even though I know all
> this, I find it irritating that I can't do this, and
> continually trip up over it.  Maybe there is some way to
> make the simple function (pasting over a range of cells)
> easier, with the more sophisticated one (creating a new
> table within a cell) as some sort of option.

Seconded.

> A related issue is the way that EW interprets tables when
> importing from Word.  Unlike EW, Word allows multiple
> paragraphs within a cell.  EW converts such cell contents
> into embedded tables.  It also often breaks up tables
> into many tables each of one row (I've not quite worked
> out when this does and doesn't happen.)  In terms of
> rendering, both are OK, but the problem comes when you
> try to edit the result.  For example, if you reduce the
> page margins, it is easy to expand the master table to
> fit, but to make the mini tables expand to fill the
> larger cells, you have to select each individually.
> Similarly when a table gets split into lots of individual
> 'row tables' it is a nightmare making changes.

That does explain the incredibly complex and un-editable
MSWord docs that I receive!

I had always wondered why there was such a passion in some
parts of Europe for tables within tables within tables
within...

NOw I realise that there is no such passion, except,
perhaps, on the part of EW.

How difficult would it be to allow multiple paragraphs
within a cell?

--
Russell Hafter