Re: [icon-users] Introducing the Style Finder

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:35:36 +0200

In message <bdf27d364f.harriet@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Harriet Bazley <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23 Oct 2007 as I do recall,
>           Martin Wuerthner wrote:

> [snip]

>> While you are waiting I would like to introduce you to another brand
>> new feature in the new version: the Style Finder. [...]

> One little point - it seems to get the window size consistently slightly
> wrong. If you look at the Style Finder window, you always see the top
> edge of the next two (unused) icons showing at the bottom of the window,
> instead of cutting off smoothly between icon pairs:   it looks as if
> it's calculating the required size four OS units or so too large.

> (It's just occurred to me that this might be a sign of some fancy window
> border configuration that conceals the bottom edge of the window under
> RISC OS Adjust, or something....)

Close guess, but it has nothing to do with Adjust. This is actually a
standard RISC OS 4 and 5 feature: Dialogue boxes (i.e., windows that
do not have any scroll bars) get a 3D border. This option is on by
default but can be switched off (see *WimpVisualFlags). With 3D window
borders turned off I do indeed see the top two pixel rows of the next
two icons. When 3D borders are on, the border conceals the icons. So,
it seems that the window needs to be made a bit smaller to avoid that
with plain 2D windows, which is a shame because it will then look
rather cramped when the 3D border is on. Maybe there is a way to read
the setting and change the behaviour accordingly.

Martin