Re: [icon-users] Help - Urgent - pdf/artworks

  • From: Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:27:22 +0000 (GMT)

In article <5534e71432rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Russell Hafter - Lists
<rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 19 Dec, Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In article
<62470.82.153.33.53.1450442229.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Gerald Dodson <gerald.dodson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Apologies for posting to two groups but ...

Trying to produce a card based on my late wife's painting.

[Snip]

A local print shop can print just about in time but obviously need
pdf.

[Snip]

IME it is much safer creating and sending bitmaps than PDF as it is
now one of the least reliable formats there is other than Word.

That is very interesting news. I had thought that the PDF format had
eveything tightly nailed dowm, but apparently not?

It would seem that some PDF creation tools, of which there are many, do
different things (including making 'bad' files) and if you are using the
latest bleeding-edge features a print shop's software may not have them.

My current favourite print shop always asks for bitmaps as well if
you send them PDFs so they can check it has all rendered correctly:
they have received many PDFs which don't render properly and these
have caused problems and irate customers. They have even added a
permanent standard paragraph about this to their quotes.

What sort of bitmaps do they use? Presumably not Sprites?

And if not Sprites, how accurate are the format change utilities that
one would have to use?

Not Acorn sprites, no. AFAIK, nobody in the world outside RISC OS uses
them. I send JPEGs which are usually fine if you crank up the quality
%age (I use 95%) so any compression artifacts are not noticeable except
to eagles with too much time on their hands. PNG or TIFF can provide a
loss-less compressed format for the JPEG averse. Purists can send a CMYK
rather than an RGB TIFF too, though this is largely a waste of time these
days.

I have even been known to attach multiple versions to one order so they
can pick the format they like to work with, with always a GIF miniature
of what the finished item should resemble.

!FSI_Batch is a superb RISC OS front end for using the excellent
ChangeFSI to convert images to JPEG. I have never had a print shop fail
to open a JPEG created this way. "People don't normally send us JPEGs but
they work really well" as one printer put it.

Tim Hill
www.timil.com

web sites * multimedia * training