Re: [icon-users] Figure moving

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 16:28:30 +0200

In message <4F9D7974.2030707@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Paul Stewart <paulstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 29/04/2012 17:34, John Harrison wrote:
>> If it worked like that, there would be no way to drag content (image or
>> caption) into or out of the Figure.
> This maybe a stupid question, but here goes!

> Why having selected to insert a figure, that is a picture with a caption
> box underneath so you can offer up a description, would you then want to
> drag either the caption or the image out of the figure?  Surely just
> delete the it and create say a standard picture placeholder.

> I thought the whole idea of a figure is so that the picture and the
> caption is together.

Yes, but the idea of a section is also that the section heading and
body are together, and you can still choose to move just the heading
or just the body somewhere else. The current behaviour gives you the
choice of moving either just the illustration somewhere else or the
entire figure. It also allows you to drag the illustration to the
Filer or another application.

Always moving the entire figure as you requested would not fit into
the general selection logic of EasiWriter and it would take away
features. It would also lose reversibility: When you create a new
figure you get an empty picture structure and an empty caption. Now
drag a picture from somewhere else in the document into the figure.
You can reverse that action at any time later by dragging the picture
out of the figure to some other place in the document. Reversibility
is not a strict requirement, but it makes user interfaces easier to
understand.

In this particular instance, it is unfortunate that the default action
when you just click and drag is the rare, less useful choice of
dragging the illustration. Usually, user interfaces try to make sure
that the default action invoked with less clicks is the frequent, more
useful choice, but in this case I cannot see how that could be
achieved, except maybe by having a user option "Click on figure
illustration selects entire figure".

Martin