[hllug] Still thinking on virtual paper (install fair)

  • From: "Donguitar" <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:02:48 -0500

My first question, in regards to an install fair, was "Which distro?"  In
search of an answer, I googled for the top ten Linux distros and found this
page.
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

My next thought is that the Ubuntu listing ought to include the rest of the
family, or at least Kubuntu & Xubuntu.   The Gnome -vs- KDE question is
pretty much a Ford/Chevy thing; it just depends on which one strikes the
individual's fancy.  Xubuntu, on the other hand, is a superlative choice for
older systems running at less than 500 MHz.

In my own experience, Xubuntu wouldn't run on a 266 MHz P2 system but Debian
ran very nicely if sometimes a little slowly, even using the Xfce desktop
so, even though it's not on the top ten list, I'd be strongly inclined to
install DSL-N on systems running below 300 MHz or at least offer it as an
option.  The installation is quite easy to accomplish and DSL-N is a great
deal than the other options for older systems (namely STX or DeLi).  I've
got a P-90 (bought it on ebay for $17) with 64 MB of RAM and a one GB hard
drive that runs very nicely on DSL-N although I did have to swap the hard
drive to a newer PC to do the installation.

I was pleased that my personal choice, Debian, is actually in the top ten.
Not surprisingly, it's #5 and once again I'm smack in the middle of the
road.  Oddly enough, as opinionated and outspoken as I freely admit to
being, whether the issues be mundane or or controversial, I seem to always
find the middle ground. *grin*  When it comes to left-wing, or right-wing,
for example, I've always felt that one needs both wings to fly.

Don Crowder
http://www.don-guitar.com