[hllug] Re: Hit me again please.

  • From: "Donguitar" <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:42:13 -0500

>It looks like you are not the only one fighting the non-working floppy
issue on PCLinuxOS.

--------------------------
>Add floppy to /etc/modprobe.preload so the kernel driver gets
>loaded when you boot your computer.

>In "/etc/modprobe.preload" add:

>floppy

>You have to reboot after this edit.

I found that in the forums and added "floppy" to the modprobe.preload file
but haven't tried it since then.  That was yesterday so it's been rebooted
(we turn them all off every evening) so.........

I had her mount the floppy and try saving a OOo file to it.  Worked fine.
Wow.   We've had this problem for over a month and I don't think I found
anything on it the last time I went through the forums.

Thanks for going the distance Lee. I can't believe the silly problem is
actually solved.  Maybe I'm beginning to get my mojo working in Linux.

Like every new Linux user one of my main concerns was to find analogs for
all the software apps I regularly use.  Since I'm not a particularly
sophisticated computer user that wasn't a real problem.  I've already been
using Firefox for a while (in Windows) and  Both Gedit and Eddie are tabbed
text editors, like NoteTab.  I don't know yet if either of them has any of
the additional capabilities I enjoy using in NoteTab but that's ok, I can
adjust as long as I still have a tabbed text editor.  After using Kmail I'm
more disgusted than ever with Outlook Express and not particularly impressed
with Thunderbird or the Mozilla email client (I'll reserve judgement on
Sylpheed-Claws until I've had a chance to try it).  The only app that had me
worried at all was Virdi's Text2Web which I use, in Windows, to convert the
text file of my ezine to html for the online edition.

Some time back I found an app called "txt2html" in the Debian repository (by
searching in Synaptic) which I downloaded.  I've read the man pages on it
and expect that, if I can make sense of the instructions, it'll be fine.
There's another app called Markdown which won't work (because it won't
convert URLs to clickable links) but I kept thinking "It's a simple app, it
ought to run under wine" so today I went looking for instructions on using
wine and found this page.

http://spidertools.com/wine_setup.php

In Debian stable the path is /media/cdrom instead of /mnt/cdrom but I was
able to figure that out so I plugged in my #2 Applications for Windows CD
(from my private collection of freeware) and, knowing the path to the
software, typed in.

wine /media/cdrom/WebDev/t2wp231/t2wpsetup.exe

and sure enough, the app installed and opened.  I didn't have a text file
handy to give it a "test drive" but I was so elated to have actually
installed a Windows app under wine that I closed it without thinking.  Then
I couldn't find it again.  I ran the "update-menus" command in a terminal
(I'm using xfce4) but still couldn't find it.  That was fairly frustrating
but I thought "What the heck, I can still have a go at using txt2html.
Then, a few minutes ago I noticed that I had a new folder in my menu, named
"wine".  LOL  Have you guessed?  Yep, Text2Web was in that folder and when I
clicked it the application came up.   I may even try it eventually.

So, it seems that there's a threshold in the Linux learning experience where
things start to work occasionally and when something goes a little wonky a
new user may actually have a clue about what he's done wrong..  For my part
I'm still a newbie but that's a nice promotion from "hopeless newbie".
*grin*

Don