[hllug] Re: Hit me again please.

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:38:44 -0500

Don:

> Lee, once before you suggested some things I could check but I was fighting
> with a modem and unable to shift my focus.  You have my undivided attention
> on this problem now.  If you'll repeat your suggestions I'll follow them in
> detail.

Look at "/etc/fstab" first to see the /dev assignment and the mount point.

cat "/etc/fstab" shows:

/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

Then mount the floppy as you are now and then check what file system is
automatically being assigned.

From a terminal type:

df -T

You should see something like:
=============================
/dev/fd0     vfat         1424       281      1143  20% /media/floppy0
 -- or
/dev/fd0     msdos        1424       281      1143  20% /media/floppy0

If you do not see any entry for the floppy, then it is not mounted!

On Ubuntu, I was was getting "vfat" (long file names) when I should have
been getting "msdos" (8.3 filenames). So, as a hack, I edited "/etc/fstab"
and changed "auto" to "msdos". There is a more elegant solution than this,
but it works.

You could try manually mounting the floppy first to test whether this may
solve your problem. Substitute your /dev and mount directories. For example:

<from a terminal as root!>

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
  -- or
mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

Then copy your files to the floppy.

and to umount:

umount /media/floppy0

Then test the disk for readable contents.

If you decide to edit "/etc/fstab", make a copy first (cp fstab fstab.orig)
and then edit.

- Lee