[hipl-dev] Re: [Merge] lp:~hipl-core/hipl/libhip into lp:hipl

  • From: Diego Biurrun <diego@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:14:02 +0100

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 07:47:31AM +0200, Miika Komu wrote:
> On 13/02/12 00:26, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>
> > True, but you should also not rearrange things w/o need to do so.
> > I'll try to update HACKING this week, there's a bunch of stuff I
> > wanted to add in there.
> >
> > Who is mentoring you over in Finland and why are they not giving you
> > appropriate hints? :)
> >
> > The autobuilder is the script tools/hipl_autobuild.sh, it should work
> > if you run it directly.
> >
> > You could also just read Makefile.am to find out about available targets.
> > You could also read the output of configure to see which options are
> > enabled or not.  Also look at 'configure --help' for available options.
>
> actually, I mistakenly assumed that alltests and hipl_autobuild.sh were
> already.

.. were already .. what?  Sorry, I honestly don't know what you are
trying to say here ...

> If you improve the HACKING document, a clear check list of things
> to check before commit would be highly appreciated (including a
> manual "bzr diff" inspection for extra sanity and checking that
> up-to-date hooks are in place). Things are a bit scattered now.

Yes, we need something like that, no doubt.

> Btw, hipl_autobuild.sh is still semi-automated and a bit tedious to set
> up. It is designed to be run from crontab rather than effortless
> execution from the command line.

No, no, no, it was never "designed" to be run from cron.  The cronjob
that runs the autobuilder does run from cron, true, but all it does is
call tools/hipl_autobuild.sh from the command line.

Previously it would expect a command line parameter to indicate the branch
it was supposed to test, but I recently changed it to derive a suitable
default from Bazaar.  It also used to expect a certain home directory
layout in order to run the OpenWrt and MAEMO cross-compilation tests.
Now it bails out with a message if those are not found, but even before
it would run all the previous tests just fine.

> IMHO, the best way to improve would be to integrate this somehow into
> "make alltests". A better than nothing alternative is to document
> copy-paste-instructions to HACKING explaining "what do I need to
> execute from the command line" to get it working instead forcing all
> developers to read the source code of the script and set it up using
> the trial-and-error method.

The script has a verbose documentation block at the top.  Duplicating
that I do not consider a good idea, it will only get out of sync.

Diego