[hipl-dev] Re: [Merge] lp:~fahad-aizaz/hipl/logging into lp:hipl

  • From: René Hummen <rene.hummen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:34:38 +0200

On 09.06.2011, at 19:41, Miika Komu wrote:
> Review: Needs Information
>> If the HIP daemon is executed in the foreground mode then in that case all
>> the messages are
>> logged both on STDERR and SYSLOG.
>
> I don't see why somebody would want to do this? I mean if you run it on the
> foreground, then I would expect everything to happen on the foreground. If
> grepping is needed, then normal shell redirection and pipes tricks apply. Can
> you find some other daemon software that does this?

This decision was made for three reasons:
1) syslog allows to redirect logs to a remote host. This should also apply when
HIPL is started in foreground.
2) syslog outputs messages asynchronously. So once HIPL has triggered output,
it doesn't need to wait until it's displayed or written to file.
3) (minor) Further unification of foreground and background behaviour.

Ciao,
René

--
Dipl.-Inform. Rene Hummen, Ph.D. Student
Chair of Communication and Distributed Systems