[hipl-dev] Re: [Merge] lp:~fahad-aizaz/hipl/logging into lp:hipl

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:07:56 +0300

Hi,

On 06/10/2011 02:34 PM, René Hummen wrote:
On 09.06.2011, at 19:41, Miika Komu wrote:
Review: Needs Information
If the HIP daemon is executed in the foreground mode then in that case all the
messages are
logged both on STDERR and SYSLOG.

I don't see why somebody would want to do this? I mean if you run it on the
foreground, then I would expect everything to happen on the foreground. If
grepping is needed, then normal shell redirection and pipes tricks apply. Can
you find some other daemon software that does this?

This decision was made for three reasons:

By whom and where? The activities are dominated by Aachen but I thought we were a community.

1) syslog allows to redirect logs to a remote host. This should also apply when
HIPL is started in foreground.

Why?

Let me reask the unanswered question above: is there any other daemon-based software that does this?

The foreground mode in background daemons is usually for foreground diagnostics. If you want to see syslog, you start in background. Is there some rationale for deviating from this (what makes HIPL so special)?

2) syslog outputs messages asynchronously. So once HIPL has triggered output,
it doesn't need to wait until it's displayed or written to file.

Asynchronous output -> no blocking? I failed to understand this.

3) (minor) Further unification of foreground and background behaviour.

Hmm?