[openbeos] Re: x86 boot loader milestone

  • From: "Commander Sozo" <CommdrSozo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:33:12 -0500 CDT

> That's a completely different issue. Of course, you can boot the OS
> from a compact flash card (as long as the BIOS supports that) - but
> transfer control to another installation on disk would mean to
> remount
> the boot device, and I don't think this will be easily possible (it's
> impossible in BeOS).
> What is this needed for anyway?
>
> Bye,
>    Axel.

I have a compact flash -> IDE adapter and can use a CF card just like
an IDE hard drive.  I was hoping to use it to store the bootloader and
parts of the OS code so that the machine would boot much faster than
waiting on the hard drive read head to move around.  With a big CF card
you can put the entire OS installation on the flash drive, but you'd
wear it out quickly.  I was just wondering if the bootloader and some
of the OS code could be stored on the compact flash drive (even if the
boot drive was still the hard drive and the bootloader moved the OS
boot and startup code from CF to RAM instead of HDD to RAM) to gain
some speed.

-Ben

Commander Sozo
CommdrSozo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx