[openbeos] Re: x86 boot loader milestone

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:02:30 +0200 CEST

"Commander Sozo" <CommdrSozo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Will this bootloader be able to reside on a different drive than the
> OS
> installation?  To clarify, I am working on booting BeOS from a
> compact
> flash card, then transferring control to the installation on the hard
> drive once everything is booted.  Would doing this sort of thing
> require changes to the bootloader?  (I apologize if this seems like a
> dumb\obvious question, I have mainly been working on the hardware
> side)

That's a completely different issue. Of course, you can boot the OS
from a compact flash card (as long as the BIOS supports that) - but to
transfer control to another installation on disk would mean to remount
the boot device, and I don't think this will be easily possible (it's
impossible in BeOS).
What is this needed for anyway?

Bye,
   Axel.