[openbeos] Re: x86 boot loader milestone

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:39:21 +0200

Selon Sam Persson <astromek@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Sounds very much like the Hibernate function in WinXP (in my
> pre-morning-coffee
> state of mind) and I really do think this one is something really (really
> really) nice to have. Especially for laptopsusers like myself. One of the
> most
> common scenarios at work is when working at a project and somwhere in the
> middle
> realizing that "gosh... I have to discuss this with <insert-customer-name>".
> be able to just close the lid (tied to Hibernate), get to the customer, open
> the
> lid (thus powering on) and simply discuss the code without having to open all
>
> the programs and stuff and risking loosing my thoughts while browsing through
>
> other code while looking for the 'spot'. That is wonderful. And if Walt...
> OBOS
> would be able to do it without choking on removed components (like
> PCMCIA-cards
> and USB-devices) the way WinXP does, it'd be just marvellous.

Yes that's it, btw, it's not windows-specific.
For APM machines it's entirely done by the BIOS.
For ACPI that's a bit different, but that should be possible either.
Btw, I got apm suspend/standby to work quite reliably on my K6-2,
after forcing it into VESA mode (the BIOS doesn't like the way the
gfx card is initialized). When I get a laptop I'll get onto better
apm/acpi support.
About Pcmcia cards, BeOS handles pcmcia cards quite nicely
(using the Linux stuff btw).

François.