[haiku] Re: openzfs announcement

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku ML <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 11:08:10 -0400

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think the key word in Ryan's e-mail was "future". Changing the file system
> has not been mentioned once in any of the discussions about Haiku that I've
> been party to.

Yes indeed, I spoke purely of the future, and probably many years in
the future. Haiku has so many other "lower hanging fruit" to work on
that there is no reason to even brainstorm about BFS2 at the moment.
Plus I know our BFS experts are quite aware of how they would improve
things eventually.

I also consider supporting ZFS at a similar priority and timeframe as
BFS2. There are too many other practical file systems to support or
improve support for. Plus it seems at a cursory glance that ZFS is
better suited to servers, and Haiku is not designed as a server OS.

--
Regards,
Ryan