[openbeos] Re: memory beyond 1 gig

  • From: "p willis" <p.willis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 17:40:43 -0700

> >> As 64-bit PC's become available on the market, we will have a 64-bit OS
> >> ready to install on it.
> >

> >I think we should be *really* proactive about this. Once BeOS32 is
complete
> >BeOS64 should be started. *AND*  I think it should boot and stay in IA64
64
> >bit
> >mode on intel. Perhaps there should be a parallel effort to duplicate
BeOS
> >for IA64
> >while BeOS 32 is being developed.......
>
> Interesting. This is mostly a kernel issue, at least, that was true for
Be, IIRC.
> And I think that we can keep it that way - most of the rest of the OS
should
> have little trouble with a 64 bit recompile. I would hesitate to try a
parallel
> effort, especially since (AFAIK) I can not go and buy IA64 yet. :-)

HP has IA64 machines available.
I have an IA64 development package from HP. It runs an IA64 emulator
in IA32. It works fine for testing OS code. There are also tools for
development
(assembler, etc.)
As for IA64 being just a simple port.....no. IA64 has it's own instruction
set
and a completely different architecture. I have the manuals if you want them
posted, or you can get them from intel's site.

Peter