[openbeos] Re: memory beyond 1 gig

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 05:51:53 -0400

>> As 64-bit PC's become available on the market, we will have a 64-bit OS
>> ready to install on it.
>

>I think we should be *really* proactive about this. Once BeOS32 is complete
>BeOS64 should be started. *AND*  I think it should boot and stay in IA64 64
>bit
>mode on intel. Perhaps there should be a parallel effort to duplicate BeOS
>for IA64
>while BeOS 32 is being developed.......

Interesting. This is mostly a kernel issue, at least, that was true for Be,
IIRC.
And I think that we can keep it that way - most of the rest of the OS should
have little trouble with a 64 bit recompile. I would hesitate to try a parallel
effort, especially since (AFAIK) I can not go and buy IA64 yet. :-)

>BeOS32 should be ported to more 32 bit platforms once the standards are
>worked out.

That is one of the things that I have been wondering about. Travis has ported
NewOS
as it stands today to PPC (almost), Alpha, and SPARC. It would/will be really
cool if we can
keep that. I would love to boot OBOS on everything in sight. :-)