[openbeos] Re: memory beyond 1 gig

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:07:08 -0400

>No Michael, it's not a bug. It's a design limitation. All designs have
>them. Our design will too.

Agreed. I came to this realization earlier. My mistake (this doesn't seem
to be my day to be right).

>I'm quite weary of people using the word "bug" to describe any
>consequence they don't like. It waters down the meaning to the point
>that it's no longer useful.  A true bug is when the software fails to
>meets the expectations for the environment it was intended for.

You know - I got into a knock down, drag out arguement in my younger days
with someone who made a bug list (20+) about software that I wrote, where
there were no real bugs, but customer requested enhancements.
Mea culpa. I should know better.

>The main reason I dislike people using the term "bug" so generally is
>that it puts an unspoken pressure on programmers to figure out all
>future contingencies that will occur with their software. That is
>absolutely impossible to do. The desire to try, however, wastes a lot
>of time and generally produces code bloat.

Right on.

>Jeez, we haven't even hit this design limitation yet (how many users
>have 1 gig+ RAM at the moment?) and it's already called a bug. Don't
>get me wrong, this memory limitation is a problem and it will start
>affecting users in the next year or two. It does need to be addressed
>in the design of OpenBeOS.

Agreed.