[openbeos] Re: joe - haiku ports

  • From: Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:02:09 -0600

> I think it's fixed now.  Have a look at the patch and perhaps try it
> out on a non-haiku system and see if it correctly detects needing -lm
> on that system.  If it does let me know, this might be worth sending
> back upstream.
> http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/app-editors/joe/3.5/1
> It's nice to have joe working on haiku, now i won't have to fight with
> vim to do a check in ;)
> -scottmc

I looked at the diff.  From what I can tell, you remove -lm from the LIBS if
not present.  Which I believe is incorrect way to do it but I would like
another dev to say if I am wrong or right.

What I was trying to get at was:
IF Haiku ( or BeOS or Zeta ) & program links to libm
change -lm to -lroot  // because there is no libm in Haiku/BeOS - part of
libroot
else ( for Linux )
leave it as -lm

Actually, the easiest & quickest way is to symlink libm->libroot so no code
changes would be needed at all but some devs do not like hacks :- )

I believe devs link to libm in their programs for a reason ( else, why put in
-lm if not needed?? ) and removing the linking to libm is not the right way to
do it.  Could cause issues.  That we should link to libroot instead when a
program wants libm.

Can someone clear this up because maybe I am confused?  If a POSIX program is
looking for libm should we:
a) just remove -lm ( not link to libm ) or
b) change -lm to -lroot ( to link to libroot instead of libm )

From what I can tell, Scott is doing a) and I believe it should be b).  If a),
then can someone also explain why a program would use -lm if it is not needed.

Regards,

Find hidden words, unscramble celebrity names, or try the ultimate crossword
puzzle with Live Search Games. Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212