[openbeos] Re: joe - haiku ports

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:11:03 +0200

Am 19.08.2008 um 17:02 schrieb Nick:

I believe devs link to libm in their programs for a reason ( else, why put in -lm if not needed?? ) and removing the linking to libm is not the right way to do it. Could cause issues. That we should link to libroot instead when a program wants libm.

Can someone clear this up because maybe I am confused? If a POSIX program is looking for libm should we:
a) just remove -lm ( not link to libm ) or
b) change -lm to -lroot ( to link to libroot instead of libm )

From what I can tell, Scott is doing a) and I believe it should be b). If a), then can someone also explain why a program would use - lm if it is not needed.

Devs link to it because it's needed on many platforms including Linux, otherwise some mathematical functions cannot be used there. We have those integrated in libroot and have no libm, so we cannot link to it and hence must not use -lm as linker argument.

To do so, we can either check the host (*-*-haiku*) to deduce libm presence or check using autoconf macros for libm presence using one of the known functions.

Andreas