[openbeos] Re: joe - haiku ports

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:21:16 -0700

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From:
> http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/app-editors/joe
>
> scottmc
>>Had to remove a -lm from the Makefile, other than that, fairly straight
>> forward.
>
> Scott,
>
> I noticed you removed linking to libm.so ( -lm ) for joe. You should really
> avoid doing this - can mess up the program.
>
> BeOS never came with libm.so because this library was merged into libroot.so
> ( same should be true for Haiku )
>
> You should really create a symbolic link libm.so->libroot.so
>
> This should solve linking to libm.so
>
> Actually, a dev for Haiku should add this symbolic link to make porting
> POSIX programs work right.
>

> Regards,
>
> ________________________________

Nick,
At first I was wondering who Joe was, then realized you were talking
about the editor...
That was one i started on a few months ago but never finished.  I
wouldn't call a port done with just removing a -lm.  There's a few
ways to fix the -lm issue, but symlinking it to libroot.so would not
be my choice.  It'd be better to put a check into configure.in, such
as:

LIBM=
AC_CHECK_LIB(m,sqrtf,[LIBM=-lm])

When the port doesn't use the GNU tools there's other creative ways to
work around the issue.  Lua was one such case:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/dev-lang/lua/5.1.4rc1/1
I initially thought I'd need to create a special case for haiku, and
when I contacted the port maintainer he pointed out that I could just
put LIBS= on the command line and that would clear the LIBS=-lm that
was set in the default.
I'll take another look at fixing Joe maybe this week.
-scottmc