[haiku] Re: (irrelevant) on windows?

  • From: Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 22:55:29 +0000

On 14 Jan 2009, at 22:15, Michael Phipps wrote:

I just said that it isn't technically possible to do what Be did - IIRC, there was an icon you could double click which would reboot the machine into BeOS. That XP and Vista won't allow. :-)

Sure it was. I did it, albeit in NT4. You needed a boot disk to go the "prescribed" route, but after first boot, dropping to a terminal and typing "bootman" let you add the standard R5 bootmenu. IIRC, it initially worked in XP till MS tweaked the NTFS format in certain situations (not sure exactly what they did, but I think it was that they changed *something* in SP1 or SP2) and the bootloader then failed to find the partition. It might have still worked with a boot disk I believe. I don't remember and by that point had R5 Pro anyway.