[haiku] Re: (irrelevant) on windows?

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:15:54 -0500

From: "François Revol" [revol@xxxxxxx]
Date: 01/14/2009 16:52
To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [haiku] Re: (irrelevant) on windows?

>Well there is some support in the bootloader for searching the image,
>but we still miss a driver to make it usable by the kernel.

>It's not that useless, some people might still want to be able to use
>it on disks with no free partition and no usb connector or CD drive...

I don't think that it would be useless at all! :-) I just said that it isn't
technically possible to do what Be did - IIRC, there was an icon you could
double click which would reboot the machine into BeOS. That XP and Vista won't
allow. :-) Is it technically possible to store a disk image on NTFS and boot
from it given a boot menu? That I don't know - I would think that the disk
image wouldn't be contiguous on disk, necessarily, so I would think that you
would have to deal with that somehow in the kernel, which would be ugly.