[haiku] Re: (irrelevant) on windows?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 22:14:19 +0100 CET

> > for the faq i supose,
> > Can haiku in R1 be installed on Windws like BeOs in it time on win
> > 98?
>
> BeOS could be installed on Windows 95/98 because those operating
> systems didn't really take control of the machine like the NT
> derivatives
> (2000/XP/Vista). The same trick would not work today. :-(
> Fortunately,
> VMWare and its' brethren make up for a lot of that lack.

Well there is some support in the bootloader for searching the image,
but we still miss a driver to make it usable by the kernel.

It's not that useless, some people might still want to be able to use
it on disks with no free partition and no usb connector or CD drive...

And it should be possible to modify the XP and Vista loaders to add a
menu entry.

François.