[haiku] Re: (irrelevant) on windows?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 02:05:00 +0100 CET

> >Well there is some support in the bootloader for searching the
> > image,
> >but we still miss a driver to make it usable by the kernel.
>
> >It's not that useless, some people might still want to be able to
> > use
> >it on disks with no free partition and no usb connector or CD
> > drive...
>
> I don't think that it would be useless at all! :-) I just said that
> it
> isn't technically possible to do what Be did - IIRC, there was an
> icon you
> could double click which would reboot the machine into BeOS. That XP
> and
> Vista won't allow. :-)

Yes, because Win9x allowed apps to take over the system, while NT
enforces process restrictions.

> Is it technically possible to store a disk image on NTFS
>  and boot from it given a boot menu? That I don't know - I would
> think
> that the disk image wouldn't be contiguous on disk, necessarily, so I
> would think that you would have to deal with that somehow in the
> kernel, which would be ugly.

That's exactly what R5 did, it just had zbeos repackaged as a .exe to
trash the DOS and hand over, but the image was still as a file on a FAT
or ext2 and not necessarily contiguous.
This was handled with a fmap driver.

The only difference is we'll have to handle the XP boot menu or the
Vista one which is different, but it's possible to add entries to it to
do that.

François.