[openbeos] Re: decoder config options

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:06:55 +0100 CET

> On 07/02/2008, David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way for a decoder
> > read user settable options?
> >
> > Currently I have this on my todo
> > //  TODO We should have an option to control this for users that
> > want
> > to use other decoders for DIV/XVID
> > //      uint32 decodewhat = (DIV3) | (DIV4<<1) | (DIV5<<2) | (XVID<
> > <3) | (OTHER<<4);
> >         uint32 decodewhat = (true) | (true<<1) | (true<<2) | (true<
> > <3) | (false<<4);
> >
> > It would be nice to make this user selectable.
> >
> > I was thinking of just a file in config/settings/3ivx.decoder or
> > something.
>
> At the expense of sounding extremely uninformed (I don't honestly
> know
> the inner workings of BeOS/Haiku's media kit and how decoders are
> chosen and loaded) - should the decision of whether a decoder
> will/won't handle a specific format be the responsibility of the
> decoder itself?
>
> Shouldn't the decoder simply state what it's capable of decoding, and
> then, if several exist for a certain codec, the user decides which
> will be used?
>
> In other words, shouldn't there be a central location for this in the
> media kit rather than relying on each decoder to do it "right"?

Usually decoders are chosen automatically (on a first-found basis),
unlike encoders which are usually presented as a list on a GUI.

For ffdecoder i had a list of supported 4CCs but that was built-in the
binary.
I always had to rebuild it to change which I wanted to support. A
settings file might be an acceptable solution I suppose.
Just check for it and use a sensible default if it's not there.

François.