[openbeos] Re: decoder config options

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:54:57 -0800

On 07/02/2008, David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way for a decoder to
> read user settable options?
>
> Currently I have this on my todo
> //  TODO We should have an option to control this for users that want
> to use other decoders for DIV/XVID
> //      uint32 decodewhat = (DIV3) | (DIV4<<1) | (DIV5<<2) | (XVID<<3) |
> (OTHER<<4);
>         uint32 decodewhat = (true) | (true<<1) | (true<<2) | (true<<3) |
> (false<<4);
>
> It would be nice to make this user selectable.
>
> I was thinking of just a file in config/settings/3ivx.decoder or something.

At the expense of sounding extremely uninformed (I don't honestly know
the inner workings of BeOS/Haiku's media kit and how decoders are
chosen and loaded) - should the decision of whether a decoder
will/won't handle a specific format be the responsibility of the
decoder itself?

Shouldn't the decoder simply state what it's capable of decoding, and
then, if several exist for a certain codec, the user decides which
will be used?

In other words, shouldn't there be a central location for this in the
media kit rather than relying on each decoder to do it "right"?