[openbeos] Re: Using GPL-ed sources as the reference

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:18:04 +0200 CEST

Hi Siarzhuk,

Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > BTW we already have some kind of SCSI support written by Thomas
> > Kurschel which is used by the ATAPI driver and is designed to be
> > used
> > by other modules as well. However, it has not yet been integrated
> > into
> > our repository.
> This module mainly is not "SCSI stuff" but "USB stuff". In other
> words -
> this is the "driver" for USB mass storage devices (USB class 8). It
> is
> only implemented as SCSI Interface Module (SIM) and "published" by
> system as /dev/disk/scsi/...

Well, maybe I understand it now :-)

> BTW, another question: during my working on that USB stuff
> (serial(class
> 2) and mass-storage(class 8)) I have seen "two ways of things
> implementing". Both serial and storage drivers in Linux support not
> only
> standard devices but many other ones with vendor-specific protocols.
> For
> example serial driver has support for standard ACM devices, FTDI
> USB-serial chips, Prolific chips etc. The same situation with mass
> storages. In opposition to this, FreeBSD sources contain only support
> for standard classes. Other devices supported (if supported) as
> separate
> drivers. And ...... what is "the OBOS way"? Is that some kind of
> "ideological" question? Or the question of The Purity? I just wonder
> about this. =-)

I'd say this would be the developer's decision :-)
For example, the BeOS IDE driver contains code for all devices in one
driver. I personally don't like this, and I would prefer the FreeBSD
way of doing. But if that way would cause any disadvantages on the
users side (i.e. manual configuration), I probably wouldn't do it.
It's also the question of how much code is shared. If there is only a
small bunch of code necessary for every device, it might be
unreasonably to split the driver into several ones.

> PS: Axel, do you remember our private e-mail discussion about
> donating
> my drivers to OBOS some month ago? You still can come to me and get
> it. =-)

Thanks :)
What drivers from yours are compatible with out license, i.e. not GPLd?
And what about that sync bug in the SiS 7018 driver? (couldn't resist
to ask) :-)

Bye,
   Axel.