[openbeos] Using GPL-ed sources as the reference

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:28:30 +0200

Good afternoon, gentlemen,

I'm not sure, that this is a right place to ask such questions but... :-) Well. I'm currently working on USB SCSI interface module for mass storage devices. Some standard protocols are already implemented, some are partially implemented. Anyway the design of this module allows to simply expand it for supporting another protocols that use same commands sets and can act as SCSI devices.

I have seen in sources of the usb storage driver from Linux, that there are many vendor-specific devices supported, that use non-standard protocols. One from those specific devices is FREECOM external USB drive that I have and going to support in my driver. I have looking for alternative sources of information about FREECOM protocol but there are no ones. People say that FREECOM staff is also not friendly to third-part developers. Only Linux source code is available for me now.

The Question: Can I use this source as reference information about FREECOM protocol for writing my own implementation under BSD license? No, I'm not going to copy-paste any info from original sources. Work with USB in Linux and BeOS is different - no chance to re-use. Only ideas. I need just information how to initialize device, read/write data, handle errors etc.

I'm afraid that such kind of using GPL-ed information can make my work GPL-ed too. I cannot accept this because I hope that my work can be useful in the future for implementing such mass-storages support in OBOS and the GPL will be a problem in this case.

What do you think?

As variant I can support two versions of my module: basic with support of only standard protocols under BSD license and "extended" with such vendor-specific support under GPL.

Thank you for your Attention.

Kind Regards,
       S.Zharski