[openbeos] Re: (No Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:26:37 +0100

  • From: "Chris Peel" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:16:55 +0100

Hi Stephan

"That being said, Haiku does let you change your icons. Same level of
comfort as R5."

I think you've answered my query then!  I would have no problem with not
being able to change the 'theme' per se; I would just like the ability to
change the icons (even if it was via an unsupported hack).

I would like to explore the "lot of positive points for a fixed default set
of icons" you mention as I can't think of many myself, and I can certainly
think of many reasons why you _would_ want to allow users the ability to
customise their desktop.

I suppose it's back to the same old chestnut again really - do you want you
o/s to be used by lots of people, or just keen supporters?  If it's the
former then you need to give them what they want; if it's the latter and
Haiku is just designed to be something for propellerheads or nostalgics to
dabble with every so often then you're probably okay to limit functionality.