[openbeos] Re: New website home page mockup

  • From: Gavin James <gavin.james@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:34:57 +0100

Petter Holt Juliussen wrote:

It does at least seems to work somewhat. I don't know what you fixed, but
I'll download the updated version and continue on it. We should try to apply
that menu box style to the welcome box as I did here: http://bug-nordic.org/test.php
I think that it would make the welcome box stand out a bit more and separate
it from the news items.

Agreed!

I've been working on applying that theme to Koki's mockup lately, and I talked
with him about how on earth we're going to incorporate that page (http://www.zeta-zone.net/haiku/haiku-home-mockup.jpg)
with Drupal. We'll probably have to hack! ;)

Nope, no need for any hackery on this. :)

Drupal can support different page layouts for different node types, and even a different layout for the front page. It's also *REALLY* easy to render the contents of a "block" anywhere in a template file with a tiny bit of PHP.

I also did a proposal mockup on a system I could write, but since we have agreed on
sticking to Drupal, I'll stop further development, and try to continue on the theme /
help out with creating that start page if thats something we're going for. I wan't to
post my proposal anyway, since I think it has some nice ideas for the Drupal theme:
http://drupal.bug-nordic.org/haiku-os.org/proposal/index.php (Check out
community, corporate and development as well there). Hope it looks well in your browsers,
it does in my Firefox! ;)

It looks GREAT, I *REALLY* like it!

With regards to a home-grown system though I would say it just simply isn't worth the effort. From experience with beunited.org it is an ENORMOUS undertaking and it's just far too easy to fall into the trap of not doing things properly and just getting things working, which makes for a completely unmaintainable system.

There is so much to take into consideration with a content management system it would be impossible for us in our small team to develop a solution to fit all needs (our needs today may not necessarily be our needs tomorrow). Drupal may not be perfect but it is a proven solution that has stood the test of many a website. It also has a large, avid community of users and developers which we can exploit to our advantage, while of course giving back what we can.

As it happens we won't even need to apply a hack for creating different sections (i.e. Community) as I originally thought. There is a Module, (Sections) designed for that very thing (applying different templates to different sections of a Drupal site).

- Gavin