[haiku] Re: Naming suggestion for Haiku boot loader

  • From: "cran" <cran666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:02:47 -0700 (PDT)

>> Am 01.09.2010, 12:00 Uhr, schrieb <cran666@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> Dear Haiku developers,
>>>
>>> I'd like to make a naming suggestion for the Haiku boot loader.
>>> [...]
>>> I'd name that boot loader "halo" (for Haiku loader).
>>
>> don't like it because its not self explaining. A user hopefully never
>> needs to mess with it after the installation and if he do Haiku loader
>> would more point him to a boot loader then halo...
>>
>> Regards,
>>      Clemens
>
> So what about LILO or GRUB? If I don't know what it is, I would never
> think that this would be the boot loader and I don't know one complaining
> about that.
> I think that's not an argument which really counts here.
>
> Best regards,
> Manuel

Well, I think that depends on your point of view. Actually, Clemens has an
interesting point with what he says. This, however, does not mean that I
agree with him.

As I see it, the name and description of a piece of software should be two
separate issues, because they serve different purposes. Generally, a name
should be short and catchy and thus easy to remember. It should also say
something about the software, but in a different way than a description
does. It should be a kind of representation symbol for the named object
and things closely connected to it. I believe that naming has a very
important cultural component to it, while a description should serve a
functional purpose only. It sort of adds a human element through allusion,
reminiscence, obvious humor etc. It can relate things.

A description should then be a merely functional, understandable piece of
text that generally explains what the piece of software is and does.

I am of the opinion that these things should not be mixed, becasue
sometimes a name can even give you a more precise idea of what kind of
software you are about to use - especially as an advanced user. I
experienced exactly that with the Gnome desktop environment. At some point
in time they started to substitute the application names in the startup
menu with kind of generic explanations for those applications, e.g. "Rip
Audio-CDs" instead of "Soundjuicer". It really confused me.

That said, I am not exactly sure if "halo" is a totally good name for the
Haiku boot loader. I just came up with it and thought it might fit quite
well for the reasons I mentioned. But what is a totally good name anyway.

cran