[haiku] Re: Naming suggestion for Haiku boot loader

  • From: Nickos V <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:05:24 -0600

>>> +1 for HaLo
>>> I find it just perfect!
>>
>> As much as I appreciate the play on lilo, is there possibly a perception
>> issue with using the same name of a popular video game?
>
> I would have that confusion.
>
> Anyway, did I miss a memo somewhere? I was assuming we would just stick
> with "bootman" from the BeOS days. Really the bootloader should be tiny,
> it doesn't need its own identity IMHO.
>
> Simon

I also really like bootman.  Can you see where the name came from?
BOOT MANager (BOOTMAN)

LILO (LInux LOader)
GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader)

maybe some think it would be cool to name it after a video game?
HaLo (HAiku LOader)?
Can you say major legal issue?

No thanks, I am very happy with calling it bootman because the name is
very good and makes perfect sense to me!